Moving day can be stressful, overwhelming, and even chaotic at times. Whether you're moving across town or across the country, there are a lot of things to consider and remember. However, with a comprehensive moving day checklist, you can ensure a smooth and successful move. Read on and we'll provide you with a moving day checklist that can help you stay organized and improve your peace of mind during the moving process.
- Make sure everything is packed: Ensure that everything is packed and ready to go before the movers arrive. Double-check all rooms, closets, cabinets, and drawers to make sure nothing is left behind. Start your packing early to make sure you can get plenty of rest leading up to move day!
- Label all boxes: Label each box with the room it belongs in and a brief description of its contents. This can help the movers know where to place each box in your new home and can make the unpacking process much easier. Label the top and at least one side.
- Pack a moving day essentials kit: Pack a bag or box with all the essentials you'll need on moving day, such as toiletries, a change of clothes, snacks, and any important documents or valuables.
- Confirm details with the moving company: Double-check the details of your move with the moving company, including the date, time, and location. Ensure that they have your contact information and that you have theirs in case of any last-minute changes or issues.
- Prepare your home for the movers: Clear a path for the movers by removing any obstacles or tripping hazards. Protect your floors by laying down cardboard or plastic, and make sure that your pets and children are safely secured or out of the way.
- Take inventory of your belongings: Before the movers load your belongings onto the truck, take inventory of everything you're moving. This can help ensure that nothing is lost or damaged during the move.
- Check the truck: After the movers have loaded your belongings onto the truck, double-check to ensure that everything is loaded securely and that nothing is left behind. Remember to check any sneaky storage areas such as the attic or under the stairs.
- Say goodbye to your old home: Take a few moments to say goodbye to your old home and ensure that all lights, appliances, and utilities are turned off. Check to be sure any disconnected water lines are tightly closed and that all doors and windows are locked.
- Welcome to your new home: Once you arrive at your new home, ensure that the movers place each box and piece of furniture in the correct room. Unpack your essentials kit and start settling in!